Before I was a full time Christian – I thought there were magical words that just makes things happen. -POOF!- It works. Maybe there is something I don’t know and there’s an awesome secret to prayer. To those who already believe or trying to start their prayer journey I wanted to create something special for you.
I. Things to Remember:
- There is no such thing as a prayer expert. There are no perfect words. God understands every language, slang word, etc. He know’s what you are trying to say even if you don’t think it’s coming out the right way.
- When you pray, you are talking to your creator. If you like to pick your boogers then bite your finger nails – it’s not a secret to God. If that’s your thing, he already knew you were like that when you were in the womb. No sin or weird thing is going to keep God from loving you unconditionally.
- The purpose of prayer is affirmation. Prayer creates a confirmation that you and God are on the same page. Nothing matters except your genuine heart expression. It’s sort of like the world will stop just to connect with the father.
- (Still a hard one for me) : God always answers prayers as soon as you speak. I’ve heard it’s usually yes, not yet, or I have something better. Don’t get upset if you lose something or “something goes wrong.” If something is not healthy in your life, it will be revealed. You may not like it, but you must be obedient in order to receive the full blessing.
II. My Personal Prayer Structure
As I stated before – there is no right way. However, I wanted to give my outline of prayer just in case you’re a beginner or in a rut.
- Give thanks : Tell God everything you’re thankful for. “Thank you for this great day. Thank you giving me a cup of coffee I didn’t ask for.” Big or small, I like to show God I’m paying attention to the things in my life.
- Go down the list of concerns – fears, things that made you angry, people that hurt you. This will probably be the longest part of the prayer. Be honest, open and real. As I’ve stated in a previous post – when I first started praying I used a lot of profanity. No it was not right, but God met me where I was and changed my language as I grew in Christ.
- Pray for others. If they are on your mind pray. No matter if they hurt you or don’t want to talk to you – it builds your character and compassion for others. Believe it or not when you pray for other people God will reveal things about you that you probably didn’t know exist. For instance, you may have an entitlement issue.
- Bring it all in & conclude. I always like to end with “your kingdom come your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Once I realized what that meant and how beautiful it was – it became my thing. Find what works for you.
If you have spiritual time keep these pointers and try this way of praying. Happy Thanksgiving!