The reason why a lot of people come to my site is for the weekly prayers. I’m so honored for all the prayer request sent and curious minds about prayer. While it is important we stay in community with one another, I want to give 7 things you should know about prayer.
- Anyone can pray. No matter what your appearance or heart looks like, God is waiting to hear from you. You were created with perfect detail.
- Prayer is simply communicating with your maker.
- You can pray anywhere you would like. If you’re in public – praying in your head is still a private way for God to hear you. I like to pray in my bed or on my couch in my apartment. Eventually, I’m going to create a private space dedicated to becoming fully intimate with God.
- Many would like to know why do people pray? To me, this is like asking why do we put oil in our car? Why do we go to the doctor? Why do we need to have a community with others? These are all needed to make sure we are on the right path. How else would our steps be ordered by the divine master without checking in? How else do we have peace about decisions? Prayer is needed!
- There is no right or wrong way to pray. Before I was really “saved”, you won’t believe some of the stuff I was “keeping it real” about. It’s not about how you start your prayer journey, it’s about God meeting you where you are to elevate you.
- Speaking of keeping it real, it reminds me of my pastor’s quote: “if we could have figured it all out on our own – our lives would be perfect and we would have everything we want.” Our ego tells us that if we just do this and that we’ll be ok and that praying shouldn’t matter. I don’t know about you but I don’t want to wake up 20 years from now and wonder what went wrong. We all have to humble ourselves and ask for direction.
- God moves, even if you don’t think so. I remember praying “God I want to change!” Next thing I know, everything started going “wrong.” It wasn’t until I got older I realized God was cleaning up house. Yes, it might feel uncomfortable but we have to trust in the plan.
The most important thing to remember is God always fulfills all promises and needs to those who love and stay faithful to him.